HOW TO PREPARE FOR CABG SURGERY
CABG is a surgical procedure to help the heart. It refers to Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. When a block develops in a coronary artery because of build-up of Plaque or a blood clot, blood rich in oxygen cannot reach the heart muscle. Because of lack of constant blood supply, tissues can be damaged and even perish.
In such a case there develops pain in the heart called as angina or shortened breath or even a heart attack. CABG also called as Cabbage is a surgical procedure which uses another vein or artery sourced from the chest, arm or leg for redirecting flow of blood, bypassing the blocked arteries of the heart. This enables increased blood flow to the heart.
CABG is a type of invasive surgical procedure that needs a long recovery time. Hence you must make preparations for days and weeks before and after surgery. One important preparation is being financially prepared for cost of CABG in India.
- 2 to 3 weeks prior to surgery, attend scheduled appointments with the surgeon. Clear any doubts about surgery.
- Carry out certain tests before surgery: these tests are necessary for doctors to evaluate how you are before and after surgery.
- Tests done before surgery are:
Blood count: this is test to check the count of RBC in your blood and whether you are anemic (low count). A low count will require increased count via blood transfusion prior to or during surgery.
Prothrombin Time (PT): This tests the ability of your blood to clot. Usually this test is conducted when you have recently stopped blood thinning drugs like aspirin.
Other tests of blood: For ascertaining functioning of liver and kidneys.
Chest X-ray: Gives a picture of the lungs and the aorta.
Cardiac catheterization: This takes pictures of your artery and identifies location of your blockages.
- Stopping medication: Inform doctor about all your current medication. Medication may cause adverse effects or interfere with anesthesia. You may be asked to stop blood thinning drugs like Warfarin, Aspirin or Clopidogral. Also stop habit of smoking.
- Diet: You may be asked to stop consuming any food or water from the midnight before the operation. Any crucial drug can be consumed only with a sip of water.
- Diabetes: If you are diabetic, doctors may advise you about adjusting your medication before CABG.
- Arrange for someone to bring you to the hospital and take you back after surgery. You will need help of another person for the first week at home and for one to two months to do light chores and errands. This surgery causes you to be physically weak.
- Prepay any bills you may have to face in the days after surgery. You don’t want to bog down your recovery time with financial burdens. You must be able to meet coronary artery bypass graft cost in India.
- Arrange for eventualities like a will and nursing choices. You must be prepared to face the worst scenario like death. Hence you must make arrangements for your end wishes. This also involves whether you want to be an organ donor, in case of the worst.
These are some preparations for undergoing CABG procedure in India.